Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ode to the Bathroom at the YWCA

Oh bathroom at the YWCA, why do you treat me this way?
            Downtown Seattle
            Up the block from the McDonalds
        In all your splendor
You know I just want to use you in all your normality
            Your two toilets
            Your two urinals
        It makes me quiver just to think of them
I look forward to our liaisons with tender anticipation
            Why do you make me wait so long?
            Why do I have to give you my Washington State driver's license  before you let me tinkle?
        You've got room for four.
Surely there' s room for me at urinal #1
            While someone used toilet #3
            Why will you only let in one at time?
        Creating a constant line
Waiting for someone to come out
            Someone who may be doing something wrong in the bathroom
            We understand
        Junkies shouldn't use drugs in public restrooms
            We understand
            You used to be open and free
        Fulfilling your function
            A facility for four
            For a busy office
But now we've got to get a key attached to a piece of plastic
            To let ourselves in
            And while we are in you
        No one else may enter without the key they possess
In tribute to the minds behind this Bizarro World policy
            If you don't want people to do drugs in the bathroom
            What you DON'T do
        is let them lock the door
A policy
            meant to stop something
            it actually ends up encouraging
        Where've I heard that one before?
 
MD
 

No comments: